Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable." - Woody Allen, Annie Hall

Normally such quotes are followed by some silly commentary by me, but I'm far too tired to say anything meaningful now. I saw Annie Hall in its entirety today, and I was so impressed that I added it to my list of favourite movies. No, really, check my profile; there are now three movies on there! Some of it is bitingly funny, some of it reflects the way I think sometimes, and some of it is just well, unique. I think I shall watch another of his movies tomorrow, seeing as how I have precious little time left till I have to return to...uni. I shudder at the thought.

Speaking of which, my timetable is utter rot. Actually, for the first time since, well, ever, I have three days where I finish before lunch, which is great. Trouble is, you gotta pay a dear price for such luxury, my friend - my price is that I have a 9-5 day with no breaks. 8 hours of mind-numbing madness. I wonder now how I can ever get through another three months of this.

Actually, what's far more disconcerting is that after this semester, it will be the end of another year. Heh, that was quick. Gosh, I really wish I could bore y'all to sleep with my reflections on temporality and what not, but I don't have the energy right now.

6 comments:

xiaodai said...

That's a rather pessimistic view of the world i thought, but then it isn't. Maybe that's the humour, the contradiction. I can't say i was ever a fan of Woody Allen, so no comment.

Speaking of timetables and uni and all just seem so remarkably close; less than a week to go. I puke at the thought of another round of torture that last 3 months. Well that's life i guess.

AKM said...

Woody Allen is, among other things, a comedian, so I guess the quote is a joke, but it also has some truth to it. I guess that makes it black-humour? I like his style, nonetheless :)

As for uni, well Mr. Dai, I agree with you, I hate it too. All we can hope is that there is at least one unit that is not total torture. It's amazing it's coming back so soon, I don't feel 3 weeks break is enough. What's your timetable like, BTW?

Although I agree with your "that's life" comment, it makes me very sad to think this is the way life is :(

Jenny said...

that's not the way life is :( life can't be categorised as "isThis" and "isNotThat" etc; life is analogous to reality and reality is a tricky thing indeed to understand.. and probably an impossible thing to completely understand

don't worry aditya, I had yucky tuesdays last semester (8 till 4, no breaks) and it wasn't too bad. *pause* eating lunch while walking from one building to another is pretty fun on nice days ;)

AKM said...

Yay, Miss Zhu is back to colour up my blog with her obscure comments about gibbons and EE Cummings. How is your leg? I trust strong enough to kick me for posting such inane drivel? :)

"that's not the way life is :( life can't be categorised as "isThis" and "isNotThat" etc; life is analogous to reality and reality is a tricky thing indeed to understand.. and probably an impossible thing to completely understand"

I dunno what this is in response to. Woody Allen's quote? If so, it's tongue-in-cheek, really. Or is it me saying "it makes me sad to think that's the way life is"? If so, I naturally agree with you, it's impossible to broadly classify life itself. I suppose then I was speaking of the fact that at this particular point, life seems not all that great, and that everything is out of place. So yeah, either way, I'm a fool.

"eating lunch while walking from one building to another is pretty fun on nice days ;)"

You see, my dietary needs are...special. I believe you humans call my kind a "cannibal".

Jenny said...

*grin* yes, I'm back to spam your blog and gazza's livejournal till the cows and pigs and vegetables come home.. I'm sorry but once I decide I like you, you're not going to get rid of me ;p

life is neither great nor not great, but it can be viewed as some degree of either by the living.. before I broke my leg I thought life sucked because I had no self control and bought a bag of licorice for $2 even though I was low on money.. now I think it's great because I have something to munch on as I look at my $25 crutches next to my bed :)

You see, my dietary needs are...special. I believe you humans call my kind a "cannibal".

oh dear, if you're a cannibal, it'd be really inconvenient for you to eat lunch while walking.. though I bet you've eated a lot of lunches while running.. after those lunches.. ;p

AKM said...

"I'm sorry but once I decide I like you, you're not going to get rid of me ;p"

That's what Jimmy Mantis used to say. Then I ate him. Now he doesn't talk so much.