Wednesday, July 07, 2004

A couple of years ago, I had done some writing that I think sort of defined that period in time for me. A while back, I read it again, but found it visceral - looking back on the whole matter, I get incredibly embarassed and wonder just what I was thinking. At the same time, do I want to forget it? I think it may be worthwhile preserving some of it, for posterity's sake. After all, if this blog is meant to be a collection of thoughts and ideas, why limit myself to the present? It would be silly to deny the past, no matter how foolish it may seem in the light of the present. I once remarked that hindsight is a sadly ironic thing - amazingly powerful, but never there at the time you need it the most (the present).

It may be worthwhile to remember this lyric too:

"Learn from grass
Learn from water
How to transform
Into something other"


Not written by me, but still hopelessly funny (and no, this is not one of those "I have this..friend, see, and he has a problem" things). I feel sorry for the author of the lyric, because, well, I don't know. Either he feels embarassed looking at it now, or else he still remembers it fondly. Tragically funny is the best way I can describe it; is it amusing because one pities the author? Is it both? An interesting scenario, to be sure. When I say "pity the author", it's not with a condescending tone, but it's more of a situation where I can relate to the author. I think at some point we all pity ourselves (well, at any rate, I know I do). Anyone who seriously mocks someone for something like this has to be, well, utterly without soul. God I hate those people.

Anyhow, I might post the first in a series of writings from the past sometime today.

1 comment:

xiaodai said...

The trouble with your (and mine for this matter) brain is that it tries to be creative with your memory. Ever remembered doing something you haven't? Experienced dejavu? When my high school librarian asked me to return a particular book, i was convinced that i had returned it already. Hmm, if memory serves me right, i hadn't. Oh no, i'm relying on my memory again to deliver the story. So I dont know whether that actually happened. It's sad really.