Thursday, July 08, 2004

Gather 'round, young ones, it's time for the masterpiece that I wrote two years ago. My epic meditation on death, life, love, and anything else I was thinking about at the time. It is without a doubt utter tripe, but like I said, it's something I ought to remember. Anyone who gets through the whole thing is dumber than me (to paraphrase Lou Reed, talking about this album).

It'll be interesting to see if I can get through the whole thing. But I have to - I simply must.




I Ode to lost hope

Hunting by the shores of time
My spirit bobbing up the water
And down it goes again
Down to the depths it returns.

Few have stepped here, it seems,
Too quiet for anyone to have stepped here.
Hear me, and perhaps
I will let you come near.

I once saw a jewel in the river
And I picked it up in a moment
Only to lose it the next
Down to the depths it returns.

I knew someone
Now, he has left me alone
Sometimes I like that he did
Not now, now more or that tone.

Shall we meet
By the shores of time?
A land I have long lived in
A land I now call mine.

Let us meet
By the shores of time
Let us meet
At the last heavenly chime.

Oh, angels of flame!
I would ask of you
Whether this one
May someday become two.

II Gazing at the valley

Never question my voice, sir,
It bears to much wrath
For you to incur.

Waves are flowing around
My head, always beating
That same sound.

Who told you that
I told him that?
Lies, lies, leave me
Be, perhaps one day
You will see
The truth in flowing colour
As the crevice below
Is the only place to go.

The green roots are abound
The valley is alive
Let us wait for the sound.

I can hear the sound
Can you feel it now?
I can feel it now.

III Dawn at a basin

Fortune is what I seek
Come, pity not the meek,
Know you are, above all,
The one true solider who stands tall.

Hail to you, champion of light,
My, such a glorious sight!
Come, let us go below
And our gifts, let us show.

IV Into the deep

Hark, close that door,
What light! My eyes
Cannot bear the sight
They are strong no more.

"Come now, no tears
Is it truly over now?"
Had I not told you
Once upon many a year?

Wipe the tears, and see
How I will fight these fears,
Best wipe those tears,
And sit by me.

Are you leaving? Pray,
Stay a while, I cannot
Tell in dream or death
What makes me say why.

Don't leave, I cannot
Close this door.
Tell me why
You are leaving.

Still, my beating heart
I cannot stop this,
Too much I have done
To stop this.

Gone like a crying angel,
Flying into the beautiful sky blue
My heart, canst advise
What am I to do?

Greetings from the depths.
Wish you were here.

V A Soldier's Funeral

How brave he once was,
Only to end like this.
I blame him not
He did not see anything
Quite like this.

I remember now
How he would tell
Of a trial so harrowing
He know not whom to tell.

If only I knew
What you thought of him,
We could have saved him.
But I blame you not,
We could have killed him.

Why shed tears?
Oh, if I knew!
Could he be saved?
Is it too late?

He knew many a thing,
He fought many a war
But he never had anything
Quite like this before.

His grave's quiet,
Shall we disturb it now?
Or leave it as it is
What is the right thing?
Ye Gods, tell me now!

You were once a friend true,
Wipe your tears now,
It would not be what he wanted.
For rumour is,
He once loved you.

VI Oasis

What, in ill thoughts again?
Need I remind you
Of what we are doing?

I know you can stop it,
I know you can block it,
Have a drink of water
And clear the mind.

VII Judgement

Angel of time,
I am not worthy
I know not your thoughts,
I am not worthy.

Soon I shall see you fly,
Into those clouds of the night,
Perhaps you wish me to join you
But I do not know.
I cannot overcome my fright.

My life has never seen
Anything quite so foreign
To my world of thought.

I know it is normal, angel of time,
I know.
But now, is it normal now?
Some would say yes,
Yes, I fear, not them.

Cursed confusion! I am
Not as able as I once was.
Are you, angel of time,
As able as you once were?

To even reveal myself
Would be a tragedy to you
Oh, angel of time,
What would you want me to do?

Wipe your tears,
We shall survive.
I know you shall
Myself? I am unsure.

VIII Revelation

Put it away!
They might reveal
A secret too tender
For you to heal.

IX The Past Spoke

The past spoke to me
When I was feeling for
What I was feeling.

I would listen to it
But now is not the past.

If only I knew
Without asking,
Without anyone knowing.

Angel of time, I beg
For forgiveness.
At any offence to you.
I beg for forgiveness
If you wished a touch sooner
I am not worthy to touch
One so beautiful.
Wipe my tears, angel of time,
Wipe my tears.




Once again, no need to tell me how it's pretentious, heavily influenced by stuff such as The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, how it's total rot, makes no sense, etc. etc. Trust me, I agree completely. Ode to lost hope? Oh God...!! Believe me, I know! It's easily the worst thing ever in the history of human civilization.

I'll just keep repeating "Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now" and it will all be alright..

4 comments:

xiaodai said...

Quite poetic i reckon, but i didn't quite what it was saying. Maybe i will read it again.

Jenny said...

*comes*

aditya, you are my hero.. like.. you imitated t.s. eliot as much as I try to imitate e.e. cummings! except.. you did it effectively!

for aditya:
Petals curl towards the earth,
And listen to the waters flow,
The flower praises liquid mirth;
"I thank you sir, now I can grow"
^o^ (sorry it's not good enough though. I shall come up with a better one eventually, I hope)

*talks of michelangelo*

*goes*

Jenny said...

*pout* how come I always forget to put a paragraph break thingy after the last poem line? T_T

AKM said...

I like your mini-poem, for some reason it reminded of The Wasteland. At any rate it's miles above the rot I churned out. Actually I haven't read much Elliot at all. You might have got a different impression based on what I said? I know I would. I'm a strange person. I'm able to pick up small things and remember them in a way other people don't. I can't explain, but hmm..I truly am.

As for the paragraph-break at the end of your poems, well, I suppose it's a sign that you're not cool enough?