Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hmm I thought I'd revisit my folky-poem I posted a few days ago:

"His death was quick and easy,
They would recall and laugh
Trained all his life, but in the end
He was cut in half"

It's hard to maintain objectivity, but I think that stanza captures perfectly how I've often felt about, well, life, the universe, and everything. I suppose I'm too much a nihilist/fatalist, but there you have it. I remember the day I wrote that poem. I especially remember telling my mother, with a wry smile, "It's alright ma, I'm only a manic depressive" (yet another Dylan reference), right before I got better. Funnily enough, I had to go outside to really feel better - whereas going outside normally makes me upset in the first place. But that's a story for another day.

On the subject of It's Alright Ma, you have to love this quote:

"That he not busy being born
Is busy dying."

4 comments:

xiaodai said...

"That he not busy being born
Is busy dying." A rather cute quote. It's funny that we are all born into this world knowing that one day we will die. Yet we fight for all those things that we hold dear, we love our children to death and put up with the troubles of trying to live a comfortable life. I thought about becoming a buddhist monk once, to get away from all the annoyance. Just recently, i realised the world of buddhist monks is full of politics as well. Pity. I might as well start my own religion if i want to free of the humanly pleasure that we lust for. But being a religion implies that I should have followers, and that implies there will be politicking.
I wonder why John Lennon would want to imagine a world where there is no religion, no country and no nothing. I can't and don't want to. It's bullshit! Why should this world be like this? Would I have been happier if i was born a bird? And why do I assume that birds can be happy? Do they know that they are happy if they are? I love being a human, at least I can articulate my doubts. Bird can't.

AKM said...

"It's funny that we are all born into this world knowing that one day we will die."

Indeed! Mortality is such a remarkable thing. Someone once said that the greatest thing about man is that he is able to wake up everyday and do something with his life, even though he knows that he will die someday. It's sort of inspiring, actually.

Read my July 5th post, BTW, if you haven't already.

On the surface, I think life as a bird would be easier. Don't you sometimes think about life and how everything can be so complicated? Art, emotion, reasoning, morality, justice, I don't know, nothing makes sense sometimes. It's fun sometimes to imagine of a life where we don't have to think about these things. Where the only thing to do is live.

As for "Imagine", to me it represents bringing down anything that creates boundaries (i.e. religion, countries, etc.) and having "all the people sharing all the world". Idealistic, but I like idealism.

Sorry, I don't really know what I'm talking about anymore. But I'm always interested to hear what you think about whatever rubbish I write!

Jenny said...

religion eh? p-chanism. *nods*

AKM said...

Please tell me the p in p-chanism does not stand for Patricia, because then you've just freaked me out. Dare I ask what you meant by it? Your references are far too cerebral for me, Miss Zhu!