Friday, September 03, 2004

"Love is a flower
Best left unpicked
By the hand of mortal man"
He said to me
One autumn evening
By the pillar of fire and ice.
With a heart that keeps on beating,
He shows of lovers cheating,
Of death most foul and dark,
Thus falls the chirping lark -
Then, a silence falls upon the hill
A spirit weeps a sea of tears
And we watch in agony
Until the mad hatter
Makes us forget
While days become years
Till one day we see again
The pictures on our walls
That decorate these halls
Most hallowed
And before we are allowed
To think too deep
We must depart
To the final sleep.




Normally, I hate poems like this, but this one's different, because it's by me. I don't know whether this is autobiographical or not, probably not, but must I analyze everything? I wonder which poets I have ripped off this time (oh how I wish I were just joking!).

3 comments:

Jenny said...

only poet reference I noticed was frost (I suck eh? meh)

was this:

And before we are allowed
To think to deep
We must depart

supposed to be this:

And before we are allowed
To think too deep
We must depart

?

AKM said...

Ah, indeed, that was a typo, thanks Miss Zhu :)

This poem is a bit more focussed, although I don't know how it goes from love to memory, time, and death. I think I was thinking about memories a lot that day, and time was added on as a vague reference to Eyeless In Gaza I think. I believe there was a line in the book about the mad jester shuffling cards and randomly dealing them out, and that represented how we remember things from the past.

Jenny said...

we remember things from the past in such a way? I thought we didn't store memories..

here's what I assume (based on agreeing with parts of my cognitive psyc lecturer and disagreeing with other parts.. lots of disagreeing actually)

we store very little but this small amount that we do remember is recalled when we use our basal ganglia (is that the right section? I can't remember if it is.. :() to reconstruct our 'memories'. usually we can create our past in our mind accurately enough to make us feel as though our idea of reality.. IS.

that's kinda depressing though. I like your poem more :P