Thursday, June 10, 2004

On the subject of remembering the essence of something without remembering the specifics, take Aldous Huxley's Those Barren Leaves for example. I picked it up with scorn, for some reason mocking something I saw on the back cover. Something about it being a comedy or something. Anyway, I never really expected it to be a serious read - it was originally something to pass the time.

But once I finished, lord! I was forever changed! Well, nothing as dramatic as that, but it did have a profound impact on me. It was another of those books that just seemed to speak directly to me. At the peak of my intellectual and philosophical search, reading some of Huxley's ideas were simply delightful. Yet again, I am ashamed that I cannot remember details. But the mood, the atmosphere, it was perfect for the time I was reading it. Sitting in my old house in Mysore, gazing at the pages of someone who thought about a lot of stuff I was thinking about. In particular I remember one of the characters musing about the various conceptions of his hand - physically, chemically, philosophically - I have often thought of much the same thing.

It's truly wonderful when something resonates, and captures a special place in your heart. I can think of other things apart from Huxley's novel. Plastic Ono Band. On The Beach, for some inexplicable reason. Coming Up For Air, as previously mentioned. A short list, to be sure, but one that I hold dear in some way. Perhaps they're not the cream of the crop, but they've got something special that I do hope I never forget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well bro, what about 'Brave New World' but? Forgot the 'wonderful' experience that had 'enlightened' us while we studied that in the good old days of HSC?? You surely can't forget that!!

And by the way, resonance eh? Well according to the Engineering Principle resonant frequency is when w = 1/sqrt(L*C), a reminder just in case you forgot. ;)

AKM said...

Oh Ford, I'm surprised I didn't mention Brave New World actually, which I guess shows how the brain works at night. You're right though, can't ever forget those days of comparing BNW and Bladerunner, although it would have been better if Rick were there.

As for the resonant frequency, stop posting your engineering garbage ;)

Jenny said...

I have brave new world, in fact it's one of the only books I've ever been not stingy enough to buy. and it's the only book I've ever bought even though I'd already read it.

it probably sounds silly, but BNW, to kill a mockingbird, a dolls house, tuck everlasting, animal farm, and pride and prejudice seems to have made a large part of me who I am at the moment.

I am a product of other minds. and I shall lose this product soon, once I start looking at simple integrals which I can't do for some reason.