Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Lordy, there are so many foo's blogging (I'm one to judge, huh?). If I weren't completely mentally crippled, I'd reply to some of the brain-dead stuff I read on the net, but what's the point?

At the same time, if I were to read my blog as an outsider I'd probably think that I were a nutjob. You can't judge people till you've been in their shoes, I suppose. But that don't mean it ain't fun anyway!

I'm just fresh off a pseudo-Indian blog. Pseudo, because the person blogging totally contradicts my definition of Indian. Although he (?) is in India. I suppose it is because I am far too naive in my mythic conception of my motherland, I place it on a pedestal far above the rest of the world (don't we all?). And when I see something that goes against that image, I denounce it as "not Indian". Wonderful exercise, no? The particular blog I read seems to be a try-hard who wants to act cool. But at the same time, he's not some vapid fool, the man does think, only in a different way to me. Way to be accepting of different ideologies, huh? Just totally dismmiss them as insane if they contradict yours. Swearing, drinking and doing drugs are not cool, sir. I dunno what perception you have of the west, but I can honestly say that these last few months I feel like I'm drowning. Drowning, and I need to come up for air pretty soon.

Isn't Coming Up For Air such a lovely, albeit bitter, book? I sometimes feel like the protagonist...in a way, Orwell reflected my own thoughts about nostalgia and "home" quite perfectly. Some of it is just awfully tragic though, especially with the fish pond (if I remember correctly, it's the one he went to as a child). I'll be darned if I remember much else about the book though. I tend to get the overall flavour of books once I read them, but I have a really hard time recalling even general ideas about the story. I am therefore able to possess an almost instinctive record of the overall tone, even if details of the plot escape me. In many ways, it's the same thing with music albums - I might not remember the specific songs, but I will remember that I liked the overall atmosphere of the thing. That is as of itself not that bad, of course - if I am able to store the essence of something, there's something to be said for that. But of course, in daily conversation, it can look quite foolish.

And that's why I hate people.

No comments: