Monday, November 01, 2004

I suppose that too often I take an overly romantic and idealistic view of life. Yet, at the same time, when under duress I can also cut past all the pretty metaphors and notions in the sky and paint a cut and dry (read: oversimplified) picture of the world. How can one strike a balance? Should one strike a balance?

Paul McCartney's concert in Red Square was on a few hours ago. It was amazing to think about the effect The Beatles seemed to have had on communist Russia, it truly brought a smile to my weary face. I then tried thinking about any other artist who might evoke such a reaction from such a huge crowd (which at one point included Putin, although he didn't look like he cared much for the music!), and then I realized there was no-one that I could think of. I thought a bit about how, no matter how great or revolutionary Dylan, Morrison, Reed and the like may have been, it seems that there is nothing that quite matches the universal appeal The Beatles had (have?). Sigh, it must have been special to hear "Love Me Do" as a young lad/lass in 1962..

1 comment:

Jenny said...

a balance seems to imply that taking a romantic and idealistic view of life means you can't also see that you've tinted your glasses with roses. it doesn't seem not possible to be able to hold both views

it certainly was cool to hear it as a young lass in 2004. I can't say how special my friends and I felt when we heard it because I heard it as danielle and lauren got up onto the edge of clara's pool and sang to each other and mimed playing the guitar and so forth. *pause* but the song sure is great :)