Sunday, October 31, 2004

It used to be the case that MSN music had this nice little feature on most albums where you could say "Play sample tracks", and then it would open up the small MSN radio window, and it would play 30 seconds of all tracks on that album in sequence. However, once they revamped the new site, this feature was nowhere to be found, which was something of a nuisance for me.

I suppose one could ask whether there is any merit to the sample tracks idea in the first place, as in whether listening to the sample tracks can give one an idea about whether an album is good or not. I think it can at least give you a rough idea of the style of the album, and let you hear whether it's the sort of thing that sounds ok, or whether it sounds like a tough listen. Ultimately, I consider it to be a supplement to a review, because the words in a review can't really convey everything about the sound of the music. Off the top of my head, if I think about The Ramones, the self-titled debut of The Ramones, I read a few glowing reviews of it but then on listening to sample tracks I decided to defer any prospective purchase of it for a while. This is because I got a much better idea of what the reviewers meant by saying they took rock back to its basics by listening to 30 seconds of tracks like "Hey-Ho, Let's Go"!

So, having convinced myself that these sample tracks are of some use, I thought about what I could about it. And, of course, the first thing that came to mind was to load up C# after something like a year, and use it to make a sample track player for me. So, after playing around with the Windows Media Player OCX, I have a simple app that lets you feed in the URL of the CDUniverse page for your album, and then it plays all the tracks in sequence! Neato, eh? So no more having to manually click on tracks one by one, now I can sit back and let my program do the work for me! These are the sorts of days where I like programming, and how it helps me save lots of time (whether I should be listening to sample tracks instead of, say, studying, is a different matter of course).

Naturally, the reliance on the page being CDUniverse can easily be generalized to include other sites, although I am only worried about having to write a "parser" (if it can be called that; loads of regular expressions would be more accurate) for each site I add support for. AllMusic in particular looks like a fairly complicated beast, unfortunately, but it also has all the album and artist descriptions.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

wow, that sounds cool ^o^ *pause* it also sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm doing with this godsend of study time; which is that you're not doing any study with it.

speaking of studying, I should be avoiding it by organising a certain christmas dinner. aditya, are you coming?

so far it looks like it'll be around late november (if feng doesn't mind) or early december, cause clara will be out of the country after dec 9.

*pause* please come please come please come.. *quacks a lot at aditya* zhuo says he won't come without you.. and I don't want to come without you either!

Jenny said...

*pause* each time I hear about programming I wonder again why I didn't choose to do software etc this semester. sounds more interesting than psychology.. or do I just want to be more like aditya? hmm.

xiaodai said...

aditya, see what i mean. you know i am right. i should suicide, just keep quiet about it, i dont want anyone to know. just between you and me, ok?

AKM said...

"it also sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm doing with this godsend of study time; which is that you're not doing any study with it."

I must say that I am somewhat upset by this implication. I do find the time to study during the day, only that I take a while to get going. So, things like working on this program (which, believe me, took all of 20 minutes) aren't really the sorts of things that make up my whole day. There is a fair bit of study involved, but now I have to study extra hard to ward off this presumed slight on my ethic, which really just supplements all the notions I myself have had about how little I have studied of late..oh, what a hyper-sensitive mind I have.

Second semester software was awful in 1st year, and in 2nd year too. I don't know why this is, exactly. It probably has something to do with the lecturer in charge.

Jenny said...

zhuo: :| what do you mean? in reply to your yahoo message thing: ":| I don't know and I don't think it's important to know". are you joking about the suiciding? because it's not a very good joke to make your friends worry about you.

aditya: I must say that I am somewhat upset by this implication. I do find the time to study during the day, only that I take a while to get going.
ah, then I'm sorry for my joke.. it was almost as poor as zhuo's suicide one. *pause* actually I just got up (woke up at 6 and couldn't bring myself to face the world.. =__=) so if I sound grumpy it's probably because I am.

So, things like working on this program (which, believe me, took all of 20 minutes) aren't really the sorts of things that make up my whole day. There is a fair bit of study involved, but now I have to study extra hard to ward off this presumed slight on my ethic, which really just supplements all the notions I myself have had about how little I have studied of late..oh, what a hyper-sensitive mind I have.
T__T sorry aditya

Second semester software was awful in 1st year, and in 2nd year too. I don't know why this is, exactly. It probably has something to do with the lecturer in charge.
it's the law of small integers. two is a very special number. however by this *cough* 'logic' 1 is even more special, being closer to zero.. unfortunately there are no 7846ths semesters to compare the first two to, so this law cannot be disproven (sounds like another ladder theory! ;))