Friday, October 08, 2004

The second US presidential debate was on today, and I am again amazed by the completely different way people see things. I suppose some things never change - Bush supporters think their man won, and Kerry supporters the same. I think one should probably look at the undecideds to get a true idea of whose performance was generally better (what does this term mean, you ask? I can't quite say, perhaps I suppose 'tis ultimately based on a subjective set of criteria anyway).

Nervous ticks await tonight, for I am sure that I will be naively believing that there will be some magic, and Latham will claim victory against all odds later tonight. But until then, I remain cynical and pessmistic.

Edit from the future: It's probably a good thing he didn't win, actually. I think idealism should only be taken so far. Either way, I'm an idiot, and feel positively embarassed with my brief foray into political commentary. I shall refrain from talking about matters that I have no idea about in future. That is all.

Never fear, gentle reader, this blog won't turn into my thoughts on politics just yet. You know how it goes with me, come November 9th when Bush and Howard serve another 4 years (which is what seems inevitable), I shall consign myself to more philosophy and navel-gazing (I've wanted to use this expression for a while now).

Incidentally, apparently Kerry uses a lot of parenthetical asides when writing/talking, and I notice that I love doing this too. Bush's team used this to call him a waffler, which irks me a little (because naturally such a criticism would apply to me). I like tangential musings, they are one of my many foibles that I shall proudly claim to the very end. An english teacher once remarked that I beat around the bush too much, and I wryly told myself that it was not true, for I caned around the bush. Reading it now, it makes no sense, but the flavour is that I knew that my writings were 90% tangential, and that I always preferred to include seemingly irrelevant stuff rather than attack a matter head-on. I don't think I've changed very much these last, ooh, how long has it been, 6-7 years?

Case in point this post, where I have digressed completely from the original topic. Long live the lost art of the ramble!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I didn't know who to vote for, I voted as you did ^^' cool, they 'let' me go first because I was on crutches:

some organiser guy: "you look like you need to go first. come with me"
jenny: "I don't mind staying here"
organiser: "yes you do"

=__=

o.o what does navel gazing involve? *attempts to gaze at her navel* argh! it's gazing back!

heh, I went on so many tangents that I pissed stew off ^^' speaking of tangents, yes is a pleasant country.. *touches nose*

AKM said...

"I didn't know who to vote for, I voted as you did ^^'"

Hmm cue "The Chaser Decides" interview with Jenny as she says this, and then up comes the sign "This person votes" ;p