Wednesday, October 06, 2004

In some ways, I think John Fogerty's newly written song Deja Vu (All Over Again) is a far better validation of my ideas about why the war was wrong than debates and facts can ever produce. Yes, a strange admission with rather strong implications, such as rejecting logic and reason in favour of emotion, but it's late, and I don't want to think about politics anymore.

To explain why I feel this way is far too hard - it all comes down to a vibe, the way I think abuout Fogerty, who saw the Vietnam war, and who obviously believes the situations are far too similar ("Did that voice inside you say I've heard it all before"). I hope it sounds wishy-washy, because that's the way I intend it to be (obscurity as a defense mechanism, it's infallible).

I don't know, maybe it was all justified, and pacifists like me are scum, but darn it, if only the world were simpler, and every issue could be looked at without spin. It's disgusting, neither side seems to want to be really fair about anything. "All lies and jest / Still a man hears what he wants to hear / And disregards the rest". Everyone seems to be positively hostile about their point of view, and ad-hominens fly by every sentence for no reason whatsoever. This, to me, is an indication that people are very passionate about the issues that face us, which is good in some sense, but at the same time, out goes any chance of a real debate to get to the heart of the matter.

Incidentally, I believe Peter Singer, whom I mentioned last post, has a book about Bush's politics, and tries to debunk them rationally and logically. It might be worth a read sometime, because who better than a philosopher to really look at a situation rationally, right? Then again, I oughtn't idolize this man, lord knows he has his own flaws.

Forgive my ramblings, I really ought to stop posting at night.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

"All lies and jest / Still a man hears what he wants to hear / And disregards the rest"

that's exactly the main theory behind most of social psychology!

I shall give you some material about this that I (perhaps irrationally =__=) believe is quite interesting.. but for now, I shall just give you a cool buzzword to google search about:

cognitive dissonance theory (or if you like, the author name is leon festinger)