Sunday, October 17, 2004

As I looked outside the window today, it was with a sense of disappointment that I realized that I cannot achieve immortality with words. "The children are all insane / Waiting for the summer rain", "And if my thought-dreams could be seen /
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine / But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only"
, "Help me find my proper place / Because I'm falling out of grace", I can't hope to write anything like that. I look up to them, seek inspiration from them, but alas, it is depressing when everytime you find yourself falling short! I suppose that when you look at greater minds than yours, you realize how small you really are. In many ways, I guess I am but a shallow reflection of these greater writers, consciously or not using their techniques to try to give words to my ideas. I suppose it is a long struggle ahead, but at least one day I would like to write something really resonant which I can look at sometime in the future and just sigh with satisfaction.

Yes, I don't know what I would have given to write any of those lines. My right arm, perhaps!? Perhaps it's just the weather - the rain has always brought out the brooding artistic part of me - but right now I feel like I ought to leave my mark on this world using the power of the word. It may well be the only real way that we can become immortal, and maybe it's the answer to all the questions I've had about my worries about the pointlessness of it all? Then again, there is no universal panacea, but I'm one of the hazy half-asleep states right now, where my idealism seems to know no bounds.

I think part of the problem is that Jim Morrison. As I predicted a month or so ago, it seems like I'm having that period where I am getting taken with this image I have somehow created of him as a dark, brooding poet, the kind that I guess fascinates me. Plus, that deep voice, ooh now that can send chills down your spine. I can see the similarity to Nick Cave, actually. Anyway, it looks like I'll be spending this summer swooning over Crystal Ship.

Speaking of Morrison, of all people Amma said she played The Doors at full volume in her room when she was 16. For some reason, it strikes me as a very...how to explain it? No, impossible, I can't explain, suffice to say it's a remark I think I shall remember for a while now. Maybe someday I can tell youngsters of the time I played Black Dog on a cold winter morning?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

but alas, it is depressing when everytime you find yourself falling short! I suppose that when you look at greater minds than yours, you realize how small you really are.

*nod* *looks up to dear aditya* I'm glad I realise I'm small, one day I hope to grow up to be like you :) (that is, taller *wink*)

one day I would like to write something really resonant which I can look at sometime in the future and just sigh with satisfaction.

indeed! which day is this one day? *impatient; want's to know*

Jim Morrison? *knows nothing*

AKM said...

"I'm glad I realise I'm small, one day I hope to grow up to be like you :)"

Wow, that means a lot! But hang on...

"(that is, taller *wink*)"

...in one fell swoop, you have mocked every single word I have written down. For a moment I actually believed you liked some of the stuff I have written, but now I see that it was all a fabrication. Et tu, Brute?

:p

"indeed! which day is this one day?"

Heh, I truly don't know. Hopefully someday before I die, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. It's just..I don't know, when I look up to the sky and it's cloudy, I feel "Ahh, yes, this is life! I should write something ephemeral, something that transcends these ridiculous boundaries that I have created for myself, something that strikes the heart of the matter, whatever the matter may be". And I feel bad when I can't bring myself to write anything profound - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak I suppose.

"Jim Morrison? *knows nothing*"

The famous lead-singer of The Doors, a rock group (whose name is taken from Aldous Huxley's book, Heaven & Hell And The Doors Of Perception, which in turn is based on the ideas of Zen Buddhism) in the '60s, and one of the more interesting rock-poets till this day. Possibly heavily influenced by his idols, but still capable of a miracle or two.