Saturday, August 21, 2004

I've found this site [RPG Codex] that has lots of news stories on new computer RPGs, and discussions about them and what have you. Very nerdy stuff indeed! What's interesting is that there is a deep-seated hatred of Bioware, especially of Neverwinter Nights, which is one of their more famous and acclaimed games of the past few years. I went in expecting to find lots of pleasant praise of Baldur's Gate, but imagine my shock when what I found was lots of diatribe! There are lots of posts about some site naming game X "one of the best RPGs ever", followed by a snide remark about how moronic the author of the quote is.

I suppose it is frequented by purists, who are interested in the role in role-playing, and if anything it has made me re-evaluate some of the RPGs I've played, and I must concede some of their points are valid. I now accept that perhaps some of the RPGs I've loved are perhaps not great examples of "true" RPGs, in that the role-playing element is maybe not exploited to the fullest, but I'd like to think they're great examples of games. The distinction does not particularly bother me, but then again I'm not really into gaming (or role-playing, for that matter) and so it would be foolish to dismiss the site's complaints. One is perhaps tempted to point their anger as squarely stemming from a sense of jealousy or resentment due to the success that Bioware games have received, but I don't believe that would altogether capture the picture (perhaps I am too naive?). No, I think they do have valid points..having said that, there's something that makes me angry too.

I hate smug, elitist, snide comments. What I mean is, snide comments made by an elitist/purist who is smug in their view that they are better than someone else. I speak from experience. I am a prime discriminator on the basis of musical taste, and there was a period a few years ago when I was smug in the delusion that my tastes were better than everyone else's, and loved coming up with denouncements (in my head, never out loud!) of fans of any artist I considered inferior. I bring this up because I see a flood of such comments in the site; then again, maybe I see this because I don't like conceding they are right without salvaging onto something? I can excuse the occasional one, but after a point it really gets on my nerves.

The fact that their attitude irks me may not be altogether interesting to you, but it's interesting to me, and like I mentioned before, this blog is primarily for me!

Incidentally, this is post #200. Here's to another 200 posts that make no sense!

No comments: