Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The fact that I obsessively check websites (chief among them blogs) for updates twice, thrice, maybe even four times a day, serves to show me that I really ought to find better ways to spend my time, but also gives me a bitter taste whenever I find there are no updates. I get this cheap thrill when there's something new and fresh to read, but otherwise, the stale taste of yesterday's news is a big let down. I suppose I always feel like the world revolves around me (well, it ought to), and so I take it as something of an insult when there is nothing new on a site. As though the author is obliged to keep me entertained 24 hours a day!

It leads me to believe that I have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. I remember vividly how an old friend was sitting in the library in my old high school, (back in the backwaters of Madras, as I often like to say), old Reader's Digest in hand, and with a grave face. He had read an article about OCD, and became convinced that he was an obsessive compulsive. Once he described the symptoms, I thought it not altogether impossible that I too was an obsessive compulsive, although at the time I didn't pay too much attention to it. For some reason, I remember that mini-conversation we had, as though it played a significant part of my life. I love little slices of the past like this; things that, by themselves, probably appear to have little value, but in a wonderfully holistic way combine to create that swirling, intoxicating stream of senses in our head that we fondly recall as the past..sigh, what I wouldn't give for the innocent days of my childhood. The prospect of growing up has never scared me, but that's because I've never really paid much attention to it. I suppose if there is a thing as being stuck in the past, I exemplify it in some sense; by all means, it's probably a bad thing, but at times like this, I really don't care.

Escapism is my drug of choice!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I obsessively checked my email on average about 3 hours a day last year (my hsc year). now it's down to a healthy(er) 2 hours. this is because I chat more often (roughly 3 hours more.......). I doubt I'm obsessive compulsive because I don't not doubt it.

escapism eh? I seem to choose stupidity.

AKM said...

I've often tried surfing for new blogs, but I suppose I must be really hard to please, because I've only ever found a handful that interest me. I still try on occasion to look at the recently published blogs to find something fresh, but alas, I often come back empty handed.