Saturday, January 28, 2006

The yearning to write is something I seem to have lost over the past year, but sometimes the old spark seems to manifest itself. But these days it is different, and hardly the way it used to be. Ever so often, I read something that makes me smile, and at the same time seems to secretly whisper "You can do this too!". Whereas in the past this might have prompted a blatant imitation, it seems that things have changed these days. Firstly, now I try and wait for something to come and present itself to me. What's interesting is that when something does come up, I seem to be willing to open up a little more in the hope of creating something of more value. Items that are borne out of my own life used to be vague and completely meaningless to anyone but me. Perhaps I am compromising my unique artistic vision (haha! I still have my wit intact!) by selling-out here, but everyone wants to be a star sometimes.

Secondly, I sometimes say "You can do this too! But hang on, why would you want to, it's nonsense anyway", and go back to thinking about the depletion of melodies in our lifetime. (There's lots of good writing out there, but there is also writing that only seems good on first appearance, but then turns out to be a bit of roobish. Whether my own posts fall under this category is one for another day)

In truth, though the vague posts of old are still entertaining, even to me they serve little more than reminders of events gone by. I have started to want something a bit more though. It is not just because it would be of more interest to someone passing by - I still maintain that this blog is mainly for my ego, and thus this new style is primarily me following its wishes. What this "more" is, I'm not exactly sure - it brings to mind ideas of profound statements and observations, but I think that's a bit ambitious. Far better would be attempts to distill the whimsy of situations as they strike me, although it doesn't help that I'm not a particularly whimsical person. If I were, wouldn't this post have been a couple of lines?

No comments: