Tuesday, August 09, 2005

No (new) music, no creativity, but things don't seem as bad as I would have expected. Of course, it is a somewhat duller life without these things, no doubt, because now my mind is fixed on rather unromantic matters, on the pragmatic rather than the poetic. There is place for such periods, of course! Sometimes, when looking over past writing, I feel as though I come across quite mad, and I probably was. Now is the time for a mental spring-cleaning of sorts!

What of music though? These extended periods where I have no passion for it are interesting, because they also seem to correlate yet again with periods where I feel I ought to save it for a time where things are less hectic/less presenting to possibilities of failure in some sense. I just know that the last batch of albums I got are going to go unlistened till some point in late November, since the opportunity to listen to them at the start of semester has come and gone. Instead, those few occasions where I see it fit to listen to something, I reach for the older, more distinguished members of my catalogue. But aside from this, it is only the quiet hum of the computer that fills my room, and it isn't half bad. You get used to it, even if it doesn't generate any feelings of euphoria.

Oh my, was it only a few weeks ago that I felt like I really cracked Quadrophenia? What is far more worrying is that very quickly it will be a year since the gentle swoosh of the sea filled my headphones - there is no way so much time has passed. There has been virtually nothing to follow it, really. Quite a slow year for my music, I'd say, and it will be interesting to make up a silly list at the end of it.

No comments: