Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Nighttime is always the right time for analysis of the psyche. At some point last night, before I feel asleep, I was forced to reel with horror at the fact that I was me. I was thinking about myself walking around places, and how other people would be seeing me, and I couldn't help but scream. It seemed so odd to me that I was that person, the person with a face, who was observed by other people, just like everybody else. In a way, perhaps I am largely constrained to the first-person view that I normally take, and so it struck me kind of odd that I should be more a person that merely a manifestation of a mind. Isn't it interesting then that we are able to create memories with images in the third person? Simply fascinating, I think, that we are able to do this so convincingly that we don't notice the discrepancy (between the first-person view of the event itself and the third person view of the memory of the event) unless we forcibly consider it. This gets one thinking about whether we are really any more than a mind, and whether this physical manifestation is an illusion.

Somewhat tagential is the idea of whether the first person view implies like I am some sort of observer, or even if I am the centre of the universe (arrogant, no?). Now, I don't want to get all solipsist on you, but I have considered solipsism in the past, and it truly brought a tear to my eye that there were other people who thought about the same things that I did. Not that I believe it or anything, it's just an interesting possibility that I have thought about. There are of course times when you like to feel that you're some kind of God (or is that just me!?), and those are the times when you want to believe in a world where only you exist - where past, present, future are all meaningless without you! You have to admit, it is possible.

No comments: