Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Continuing on from my previous post about Experts Exchange, I've posted a couple of replies today, but when scanning a few of the questions, I realize also that the system is being abused by people who are obviously trying to use it to get their homework done. It's a moral issue then, considering whether or not to provide the answer to these people who, I think, will most probably simply copy the solution word for word and submit it as their own, without paying any attention to the contents i.e. not learning anything from the experience. The end result is a sense of misplaced altruism that benefits no-one really, and if anything encourages such people to continue cheating (and that's what it is, I think).

Having said that, the thing to do would be to try to get the person to realize why it isn't such a good idea to post such questions in hope of getting a complete answer, no strings attached, and try to get him/her to find out the answer themselves, with only guidance from others. But of course, it's idealistic to think even 50% of people would listen to this.

What if such a question is posted with 500 points up for grabs? Anyone might be tempted to respond (I don't consider myself to be above this), just to increase their score, which by the way I think is part ego-stroking.

No comments: