Monday, April 17, 2006

Well, one good thing that came out of the project last year was that it made no sense for me to persist with DirectX as a tool to make The Game. I remember blindly using all those C calls without understanding what they were doing, and remember vividly the days upon days I would have to spend debugging some trivial error that came about just because I didn't know what the code was doing. I read so many tutorials in search of something that would have all the answers; my favourite was the Game Programming Genesis series on GameDev. I actually printed out every single one of them, and probably have them lying around here somewhere.

But when I had a little taste of PyGame last year, I said to myself "Hey, this does everything I want to do, so why torture myself with the delusion that I'm a serious game programmer?". I'm not interested in the advanced shading options and what have you that DirectX (or OpenGL) lets you control - all I wanted (and want) to have is simple sprites moving around, giving me room for exciting game mechanics (whatever that means - I never reached this stage before, so there's some thinking to be done yet). And so, if there is any hope at all for The Game to be started, the discovery of PyGame seems to play a vital role - even if it has only rekindled my interest!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

The Game? o__o?

AKM said...

As in the vague image I have in my head of something with a great story and overall artistic value, something that I would be proud to create. It's something I have been meaning to do for a long while now.

Jenny said...

ah ok :D

if/when you make it, please (for the sake of the children of the world) make it a non violent type of game, filled with smiles and rainbows and rabbits ..and smiling rainbow rabbits ^O^

*pause* hmm, that was partially serious!

btw, this sudden commenting spree of mine on your blog has nothing to do with the fact that I'm feeling especially lazy this holiday; how can I feel lazy with so many assignments breathing down my neck? *faints*

AKM said...

It wouldn't be an action game, that's for sure. Since RPGs are the only thing that capture my interest these days, it would probably be something with largely story and character-driven. Non-violent? There would have to be some form of combat, otherwise it wouldn't be much of an RPG!

But hang on, I don't know why I'm talking about these things as though I have a great plan already sorted out. I have so little spare time these days that I'm lucky if I get time to play games, let alone create them!

Jenny said...

nah, it's good to dream :) An rpg made by you sounds really cool; I'm a bit tired of playing rpgs with little thought behind them (or plots which are too predictable, or too vauge/confusing) :D

one of the enemies you put in your game must be a rainbow bunny rabbit, btw. if you don't do such a thing, you will be fined US$2.1828 billion, and your sister will have to return my psychology textbook :D

xiaodai said...

I remember using this tool called DX-creator that could create games and stuff. It just died, thanks to me.

I made this tank puzzle game, it was cool but never got to finish, now everything's lost.

i put 2000 lines of code into that game, taht was the largest software project i have ever participated in. and it was all my own work. anyway, it's long lost now, and i am not that enthusiastic about making games anymore. they are all so the same. you know what i mean?

AKM said...

Jenny:

I find most RPG plots pretty good, but I've only played four (maybe five). And I think the ones I've played are the best there is ;) Although Zhuo seems to disagree about Planescape (tsk, tsk)!

Oops, psych textbook will be returned as soon as I remember to bring it to uni...!

Zhuo:

I remember a time when I didn't think very much of such tools, and how excited I was at being a "real" programmer, the kind who got it hands dirty with DirectX API calls and calling COMInitialize and getting LPSurface handles and all that jazz. But now I am far more approving of them, although I still don't think I would use one, simply because I do want to do some things by myself. I guess that makes me a lousy software engineer, but oh well :)

I still have the impression that at some point these tools are restrictive; your thoughts?

"they are all so the same. you know what i mean?"

I think that part of the reason I still have this idea is this very fact - almost as though I want to make something that harks back to simpler days, like Ultima 7.