Saturday, April 08, 2006

I mentioned the Pandora music project a while back - it's a music recommendation system, which is a concept that I find quite appealing (even though I end up buying albums and not hearing them till six months later). It's good, but I've realized why I don't use it more often. I don't think its sophisticated enough when it comes to determining what music is similar - I think at the moment, it tags songs with their qualities, and then compares tags. Works ok, but I do find it a bit limiting sometimes. Then again, I guess I am pretty picky about these things - see, I just knew that if I asked for something similar to Paul Simon's "Mother And Child Reunion" that I would get reggae music. Hey, I like reggae and all, but it isn't the reason I like the song. Consequently, I find the recommendations to be mostly just ok, and not quite as satisfying as my original choice. Of course, I doubt it was meant to be used in the way I seem to want to use it (finding other 'great' songs), so I suppose I'll continue hanging off every word of internet reviewers for now.

No comments: