Thursday, April 13, 2006

She looked at her watch. "Fifteen minutes late", she sighed, and she picked up her pace. She knew that the professor wouldn't mind, of course, but she was growing weary of coming in once everyone was already seated. All eyes would fall on her, and she would inwardly curl up in a ball to deflect all the attention. She did not look forward to a repeat of the experience.

She entered the room in a hurry, and was taken out of her temporary delusion that somehow no-one would notice. There they all sat silently, no one saying a word, but all eyes mutely fixed on her for that one moment that, perhaps more in retrospect than anything else, felt like an hour. She scrambled to the nearest seat she could find, but was shaking a little, and took a barely perceptible while longer to do so than one normally would. She thought she heard someone say "There she is", but maybe it was just her imagination. Either away, she cursed softly, but was relieved that she had finally made it. "I'll be on time next week", she said to herself.

It was as she was taking the book out of her bag that the professor said something she didn't catch. Everyone else laughed in unison, but she merely looked around in confusion. It soon died down, and gave way to rapt attention. "What were they laughing about?", she wondered.

A moment's thought convinced her that the wretch had actually made a comment about her, no doubt something hilarious about her not being on time. It seemed to make perfect sense to her at the time, and was far more appealing a thought than the uncertainity and all that came with it. "It's not my fault", she wanted to say, but she knew that would come across strange. "They wouldn't understand", she said, tears beginning to form in her eyes. She looked at the other people and thought them all to be sick to have laughed at her like that. As if they knew her or her reasons! She shut her book, and paid no attention for the whole hour. She merely sat thinking about what she should do. She felt like sitting in that same seat for the whole year, so that she would never be late again. Then she would be the one laughing at all of them when they crawled into the room.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

*stare* I don't believe your character is very realistic, aditya; the "I do believe" part doesn't suit an oversensitive person very well.

*pause* argh! my comment was negative! I will be hunted down and killed! *runs away, as fast as a train (or catches a train.. either way)*

Why and when did you change your blog title, btw?

AKM said...

Well, I agree the ending is weak. I actually didn't mean for the character to come across as over-sensitive, BTW, just over-frustrated! But I suppose I find it hard to drift too far from myself...!

Blog title change was explained earlier:

http://aditya-menon.blogspot.com/2006/03/no-title-change-is-not-to-say-that-i.html

Basically - I don't feel the old title has relevance to what I write about anymore. I was once sad about this, but now I'm beginning to come to terms with it (somewhat). Mind you, there'll still be failed experiments like this :)

AKM said...

I tried to change it, but it's difficult :)

AKM said...

And don't worry about being 'negative' - constructive criticism is appreciated, and is in fact the only way I will learn! I would still like to become a better writer, even if not a great one.

Jenny said...

"I tried to change it, but it's difficult :)"

good thing you're smiling then :)!

=__= I tried to write something like that (well, something completely different, which was like that) a while ago, and couldn't even start it! congrats on your writing btw, it is actually very good overall ^o^

AKM said...

You probably didn't start writing it because you weren't sure of the quality, and thus wanted to wait till you felt it was within your grasp. Me, I don't seem to care, and in fact convince myself that what I've written must be good ;) Which is why constructive criticism is good!

Of course, I think you should at least make an attempt and see where it takes you; you needn't publish something on your journal, it could just be on your computer.

"congrats on your writing btw, it is actually very good overall ^o^ "

Was that just because you were feeling bad at 'criticising' me!?! If so, please, don't be!

Jenny said...

"Was that just because you were feeling bad at 'criticising' me!?! If so, please, don't be!"

no no, I meant it; I would never feel bad criticising you *cackle* XD!