Saturday, May 28, 2005




Sunday morning, praise the dawning... You know, it has probably been a year since I first heard of VU & Nico. But just the other day, I was thinking about how wonderfully coy it was for them to open their album with a song like "Sunday Morning". I tried to imagine the face of people who, like me, might've bought the album because it was supposed to uncompromising, harsh, groundbreaking, and all that - one might expects a furious opening track, white noise, jarring rhythms, heavy distortion and what have you. Instead, you get this disarming, soft number! It just makes VU all the more acceptable in my book that they didn't try to be purposely unacceptable starting off. Sure, one may not be able to say the same of some of the other songs, nor the second album for that matter, but nonetheless, "Sunday Morning" maintains its own charming, special place. (Yes, I know it isn't just a quiet number; I think Reed said it was meant to be akin to one walking home late at night, paranoid ("It's just the wasted years so close behind"), but that isn't the mood I get. And isn't that what really matters?)

No comments: