Thursday, May 26, 2005

My recent musings on elegance in software reminded me of something I read a long time ago, a thread on GameDev that featured a discussion on whether code is art. Unfortunately, there is a flame-war for the most part, but it is interesting nonetheless. When I first read it, I thought that code was art, but probably for a very different reason. At that stage, I think I equated the artistic nature of code to purely succinctness (for instance, I was particularly enamoured with recursive solutions back then). Now I feel like I have a better idea about what SabreMan was talking about; he's one of those posters who contributed a lot of things that I still find interesting to read today. Unfortunately, 'twould seem that he doesn't post anymore, and that's a shame. I've been unable to find any really good software forum with characters as interesting and knowledgeable as Oluseyi, SabreMan, Fruny..my virtual mentors and teachers, who inspire me to greater heights!

No comments: