Sunday, February 15, 2004

It's time for more pointless stories. A little over a year ago, I heard the album Close To The Edge by Yes. My initial impression lay slap bang on that lovely zone between indifference and dislike. I couldn't really remember anything about the album a few weeks after hearing it, except perhaps the general length of each of the three songs. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I saw the album again when flipping though CDs, and happened to see the track listing at the back. And You And I. It didn't really ring any bells - it's pretty safe to say I would have no chance whatsoever of humming the melody (let alone those spacey lyrics). And I moved on, flipping through other CDs.

But then, a couple of days ago, I got this melody in my head. A somewhat catchy one, and really, far too catchy for it to be something I made up myself. I tried searching through my mind to put some lyrics against this melody to see if anything fit. After a bit of thinking, what do you think fit? Why, And You And I, of course!

If it really is the melody to the song, then it proves my brain is able to retain the most random things for extended periods of time (well, a year ain't too long, but it's long enough I think). I mean, I didn't even like this song, and yet the melody is stuck in my head? That doesn't sound too odd, I know, but for some reason, it just is. I wonder what else I've got stored up there.

If it isn't, then there's the chance I've created a fantastic melody of my own, in which case I have a bright future ahead of me. Or of course, it's some other poor song, forever lost in the mists of time.

I'm listening to the album right now, so sit tight.

No comments: