Sunday, February 22, 2004

Huh. Apparently, Tweeter And The Monkey Man, Dylan's composition on The Travelling Wilburys Vol. 1, is a Bruce Springsteen parody. I never would've guessed it. Poor Bruce. I guess he is sort of a Dylan imitator (but who isn't, darn it?!), and sometimes he does over-do the whole working class person persona, and for that he seems to get a lot of slack. I hope Bruce was okay with the whole thing - imagine your hero mocking you, it ain't pleasant. And what about Lou Reed? His intonation seems to be strongly influenced by Dylan, but you don't see anyone mocking him. Reed apparently once said "Dylan gets on my nerves. If you were at a party with him, I think you’d tell him to shut up". Ahhh what're you going to do.

Speaking of parodies, Syd Barrett recorded a song called "Bob Dylan's Blues", mocking Bob Dylan. Typical Barrett rot, it sounds like (actually, I've never heard any of his work, so that was a joke).

No comments: