Tuesday, December 02, 2003

At around 12 pm today, I was taking a much-deserved break from Baldur's Gate, and was browsing the net for ways to create a music catalogue in Access. I had tried coming up with a solution in Access, but I realized that I don't quite know enough about databases to make a thorough solution. Instead of finding something related to Access, I stumbled across a demo for a piece of stand-alone software for cataloguing music.

And then it hit me.

I could try to make a program like this!

I don't know why I found this experience so profoundly exhiliarting, but ever since I've been really excited; it's that lovely infectious excitement you get whenever you start out on something you want to do.

I decided to finally do something serious with C#, and so I'm going to try to use it to make the program. So far, my experience with C# has revealed some really nice features. For instance:


  • Properties At first I found them a bit odd, but now I am quite struck by them

  • Window Forms Oh yes! By far the best way to design GUIs that I've seen. I shudder thinking of the hours wasted in C++ and Java where I manually made my GUIs..

  • Operator overloading Yeah, yeah, it's in C++, but it's a relief using == once again with string comparisons after 4 months of Java

No comments: