Thursday, May 10, 2007

A pivotal moment*

I always suspected that since my knowledge of Excel was entirely self-learned, and at that out of needs no more complicated than sorting a list of data, there were bound to be large gaps in my knowledge of the program. The fact that I only just discovered pivot tables, by accident in fact (I was trying to do with a macro what a pivot table does for you automatically) makes me quite worried - if such a powerful feature slipped by completely unnoticed, what else is there to the program that I am not aware of? Granted, all it buys me is more opportunity to create interesting lists based on my catalogues of books/music/games, which are hardly the sort of thing that I really need to do; but I can't help but feel that such knowledge will be of use when I have to use the program in the real world (hopefully I'll get there someday!).

* I should have tried harder to resist, I know. But at least I got it over with quickly.

No comments: