Saturday, March 10, 2007

After getting frustrated at being unable to make Bad Mojo run on my XP machine, despite all manner of combinations of settings and QuickTime installations, I gave thought to installing Windows 98 on a separate partition. A quick search revealed, however, that installing 98 on an existing XP machine is not an entirely straightforward manner. A bright idea from S, however, gave me hope - why not use VM software?

A good idea, but I was still hestitant seeing as how I'd never tried anything like this before. I had no idea what products were "good", how they worked...nothing! I was quite happy then when it turned out that Microsoft themselves have a free program, Virtual PC, which lets one do all the basics of VM management, including creating a new VM. It seemed simple enough from the positive reviews, and indeed it was quite simple (if time consuming) to install 98 on my machine - I was quite impressed with the ease of use.

However, the game is more adamant than I imagined; while it now runs, it still crashes on occasion. The problem is again with videos I think, for it seems to stuff up only when I get to a cutscene. I don't have any idea what else to try!

But I am still impressed with Virtual PC!

I also tried to install FreeDOS in hopes of playing Ultima 8, but alas, no luck there either - I get an "Exception 14" error, or something like that. It probably has to do with the editing of the config files, but maybe I'll just wait for the Pentagram project to finish.

No comments: