Thursday, February 09, 2006

Starostin's fall

I think I'm getting to the stage where I can begin to stop worshipping George Starostin. You might remember my post excitedly exclaiming that his site was back on the net after a brief hiatus, and at the time I was looking forward to more interesting reviews and opinions. I've got them alright, but with it I think I have started to reduce the amount of worth I place in his writings. Previously, his opinion was the decider, the final word - I would literally buy or eschew albums solely on his word. Albums that he recommended have proved to indeed be well worth my time, but I have found that taking his word as something sacred is fast getting old. It is through no particular fault of his, mind you. It is simply that my sycophancy has blinded my ability to think or talk about albums as I really see them, not as how GS sees them (which I then confuse with my own view*).

This all happened when I read an innocuous comment from one of his fans saying that The Mollusk was the best album of the '90s. Somehow, I could so easily imagine myself saying the same thing after hurriedly buying the album once it got a 14 from him. It would be done with little regard for what other people think, simply because, well, it's Starostin. What I mean is that I far too often I tend to take his word over other reviewers. So when AMG gives anything 5/5 but Starostin awards it a mere 11, I say "Pshaw! Overrated nonsense!". It's easy enough to guess what happens when Starostin's 13 comes up against an AMG 2/5.

Part of the problem is that there isn't anyone else in the WRC who has covered the breadth of albums as GS. The Capn is slowly getting there, John McFerrin has slowed up, and Jack Feeny looks promising, but it's clear that GS has by far the most comprehensive set of reviews, and so for someone who was just seeking musical direction, he provided shelter and taught me all that I know. I suppose now it's time I leave the fold and brave the musical world by myself, although I'll be sure to check back with my mentor often.

Yes, I'm still going to visit his site regularly, there's no doubt. The reviews themselves are still some of the best about, and probably the best among the WRC. He still reviews lots of artists that interest me, and introduces me to new music. All that's happened is that I will try to stop letting him become a monopoly on my musical tastes (again, which is through no fault of his!). It would help if there were a broader selection of reviewers, but hopefully the years will change that. And maybe this humble writer will too (I couldn't resist!).

* There were shades of this when I wrote my innocent lil' Doors reviews last year. I first rated Strange Days 17/20 while the debut got 15.5/20, and yet when I did this I told myself "Look, something's not right here". It was definitely because of the relative ratings that GS (and McFerrin) dished out, and I somehow let them blind me and thought that I too felt the same way. But the I quickly came to my senses and gave ratings truer to my view.

No comments: