Monday, February 20, 2006

I'd be a liar if I were to call myself a gamer in any form these days, but time was when games were what it was all about. I came about this realization when P was chatting to me a few days back ("Played MDK2?" / No, haven't a clue what it's even about. "What about Deus Ex?" / Got it, but haven't played it. "You know that bit in GTA where..." / Umm sorry, but I don't particularly like GTA). The tag of "gamer" is something that has latched onto me, even as the number of games I sit down and play has fallen to, well, zero.

Is the interest still there? A little bit; when I think back to some great gaming moments, I do visit games websites and see whether anything on the horizon looks promising. Most of the games I'm interested in seem to be at least a few years old (one exception would I guess be Oblivion), though I wouldn't read into this too much - in particular, I don't think it says anything about quality of games. It says more about my attention span and tolerance of perceived mediocrity these days, which is most assuredly on the decline. Especially the latter, which is not restricted just to video games (right now, I'm living with the bitter belief that 90% of what I used to watch on TV is pure tripe).

But really, about the only genre that I still have an interest in is the good old fashioned RPG*. Except, if I think about it, I haven't played all that many RPGs anyway - the holy trinity of FF7, Baldur's Gate and Ultima (7/8/9?) are about the only real RPGs I've played. I suppose I've been lucky to have gotten my hands on such good ones. The good (great) impressions these have left on me have made me want more of the same, and so it seems that every new RPG that comes out with high scores is a promise of the same level of experience; but year after year, these golden children fade from my memory and I am left thinking about those three great games, and wondering why there aren't more like them.

Maybe the end of gaming that I have often predicted is less from the state of games today, and more about the state of me today! It's hard to imagine that I've lost the gaming drive, but the evidence seems pretty convincing. And yet, I don't think I will ever completely lose interest in regaining it - even now, there is still the hope that a game will come along and take me back to those days gone by.

*I don't see myself getting into FPSes anymore, but there is hope for strategy and maybe even adventure games. Trouble is, the world seems to be into online gaming these days, which is no good for the introverted.

2 comments:

xiaodai said...

I do have a wider taste than you when it comes to games. I did venture into GTA once and liked it for 10 hours. I hate gamespot, it gives boring games 9+. I can't trust gaming reviews anymore cos they tend to rave on about things when compared to other forms of entertainment seem really shit. you know what i mean? like they boast about how good the story of game X is, while the same sort of plot has been done way better in a movie before. The only great game that i have played recently is resident evil 4. It's one of the best game ever.

AKM said...

There's no doubting you have a wider taste :) I'm far too picky and elitist these days to give most games a chance.

Yeah, I did play GTA for a few days, and for that time it was all good. But then, it just seemed to get so repetitious, and ever since I seem to have lost the drive to play it. People have show me all the "cool" things you can do in it, but I don't seem to be impressed!

I agree that GameSpot is veering away from my sorts of tastes; but then again, that may just be a reflection of gaming itself moving away from what I like.

I can see your point about the same thing being done in movies, but I'm not extremely fussed about it simply because the experience of watching something in a movie and playing it in a game is quite different. There can be a great feeling of personal interaction with a game, whereas it's quite easy to slip into passive observer mode with a movie. Then again, I suppose with these kinds of games the way the plot is set out is somewhat original, and not a clone of something out of the movies. As an example off the top of my head, StarCraft's story is actually very good, and I'm not sure that it's just a copy of a movie (Aliens? Hmm...).

RE4 also got GameSpot's game of the year award, I believe - perhaps you should rethink your stance towards it ;)