Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'd like to begin by saying that it's funny, but then again so is my sense of humour. One of the few things I can be sure of is that I will never see her again. Yet, rather than forget about her, she is destined to have one exclusive memory dedicated to her, and that is something that you can't say about everyone (she should feel privileged, no doubt). Maybe this in itself is not so remarkable - what is, or at least what seemed to be as I started writing this, is that I might never have remembered this had a fleeting image on television not caught my attention. Once it did, and her face flashed through my mind, she was guaranteed an immortality of sorts. And yet, had I arrived a minute later, or were I finding entertainment on a different channel, she would have lied dormant for a while yet. Instead of a face in a photo, she is now someone with a story attached.

But now that I do remember her, I also remember that I didn't particularly like what she said. And so instead of existing in peaceful anonymity, she is now a phantom that leaves an odd bitterness in my mouth.

No comments: