Friday, July 15, 2005

Scaling is beyond me; it can be disgusting, but at the same time overly welcome. Lord knows how it can convert not attempting half an exam into a result supposedly reserved for an upper-echelon of performances. The motivation for such contradictory statements from me is of course the completion of another semester where I feared that I would near-fail a subject, given my atrocious examination performance, but then, through the magic of scaling, finding myself far better off than I deserve, so much so that the only appropriate reaction was a maniacal laugh followed by a shrug of the shoulders. There is a brief celebration on my part on receiving the "good news" (of not failing), but in such cases, it creates a somewhat hollow feeling, probably because I am acutely aware that I don't deserve most of the marks. It is downright worrying; my latest endeavour saw me spending no less than three-quarters of an hour staring blankly at the exam, not knowing what to do. Taking into consideration the fact that I also didn't put any effort into the subject the day before, I came out expecting the worst, seeing signs where they didn't exist (I thought that I was going to be punished for fixating on one of the lecturer's trademark phrases, mostly in a genial fashion, but sometimes with an air of derision). It is therefore a bittersweet "victory", one which nonetheless raises doubts as to whether I've really taken a new, restrained approach to matters.

I'm coming to the end of the structured examinations, so maybe next semester is the last opportunity to play this oh-so-amusing game of worrying for three weeks followed by shaking your head in disbelief for three hours.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

*grin* I see someone has been lying.. you told me you failed everything!

of course I suspected as much (that you got 51 for everything..) but now that I have PROOF, I can report you to the appropriate authorities :D

farewell dear friend; may capital punishment not stain your neck/clothes

Anonymous said...

This uni is screwed man, not because legends like you getting HHD's without really trying, but because bludgers like me also getting HD's. Seriously though, the academic standards are really lacking. I find the system very discouraging.