Thursday, March 31, 2005

I came across the video for the U2/BB King collaboration "When Love Comes To Town" yesterday. In it, the legendary King says he's "no good" with chords!! I suppose this makes it all the more likely that I will become a master bluesman, eh? I think it has been somewhere in the region of a month since I tried to learn how to play the guitar, and admittedly I am ecstatic that for a change I haven't given up on it altogether just yet. However, I did think that after a month, I would be far more proficient than I actually am. But I'm not too disappointed, for although the last few weeks were by and large repetition of my small bag of riffs, of late I've tried to expand a bit further, one step at a time. I can't tell if it has worked or not, though - maybe this is why most websites recommend recording yourself in the early stages, no matter how dismal you think you are?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

However, I did think that after a month, I would be far more proficient than I actually am

ooh dear. picking up an instrument takes longer than years, not months ^__^' well, if you count "learning about how to make an instrument make sounds" as "picking up an instrument" then maybe some months would be sufficient

*toddles off chirping and shaking head*

anyway your improvement is real and will continue if you do :)

AKM said...

ooh dear. picking up an instrument takes longer than years, not months ^__^

It depends what you mean by "pick up" I suppose - I don't know what this phrase means to a classical musician, but what I mean (and this shows how short-sighted my goals are) is being able to do basic stuff e.g. changing chords fairly competently (and thereby being able to play lots and lots of easy songs). This isn't, I think, supposed to take very long at all; couple of months max?!

Naturally I didn't expect that I would be able to play the intro to Voodo Chile after a month, but I did think I would be able to play, albeit with a few hitches, some simple guitar-based song from start to finish. This is probably from unfair comparison to a cousin who took a mere six months to wow us all with all manner of guitar solos! This was probably due to practice, something I haven't been doing a lot of thanks to SOFT assignments.

Jenny said...

my assignments tend to be crunchy.

*pause* oh my god, I'm losing what I think I haven't lost but probably have lost, again..

I dunno why but I've been hyper the whole of this evening (I've never not guessed any answers in a stats quiz before *happy*), sorry about the silly reply ^^

AKM said...

Cruncy assignments? They're grrrrreat!

AKM said...

Maybe I should learn to spell so as to not spoil "jokes"?

Jenny said...

no worries, I misspelll things all the time. *pause* and yes, that was deliberate, but the reason it was deliberate was because I really didn't know how to spell misspelll..