Sunday, March 13, 2005

"Do The Strand", where have you been all this while? Wow, best song of the '70s for sure (no, only joking gentle reader - this post is the product of a certain euphoria which I spoke of yesterday, one that only music seems to be able to generate. A euphoria which makes me want to really "do the strand". Ugh, me dancing? A shocking thought!!).

You know, every once in a while I wonder whether I've heard every song worth hearing. In a way, it's understandable; I've already convinced myself that there will never be another "When The Music's Over", nor a "Terrapin Station" (hard to compete with something that is associated with intensely personal memories, no?). But as this song has reminded me, it's always a pleasure to be proved wrong. A related thought is whether I've heard every melody worth hearing. Heck, listening to the Beatles' catalogue can do that to a person. It takes songs like "Catblack" to again prove me wrong, and again I thoroughly enjoy being proved wrong in these matters!

Pointless edit: I remember that I posted something in a similar vein when I listened to Band On The Run. But heck, now that Ram is playing, I have to say, I really think that this is the best '70s pop-album I've heard. Yeah, superior to Band On The Run, the subject of this post (For Your Pleasure, which I think is underrated actually; or is the rest of Roxy's catalogue just so much superior!?), Rumours, et al. Then again, I haven't listened to very many '70s pop-albums, so this statement is really rather pointless. Although, you know, to me, now that Ram has formed an intense emotional attachment, it's quite likely that it will be my favourite '70s pop-album for a while now, and anything quasi-objectively superior won't be able to shake its place - bold words, but I'll stick by them!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

somehow this post makes me immediately think of food. ^__^

^__^ I thought I had tasted some of the very best dishes ever but was partially corrected when I realised I only have ever eaten asian or western foods. but the best noodles in the world are still the ones that bring back good memories, even if they're seen as tacky and cheap.

I used to be terrible at dancing, unfortunatly I've gotten worse!

AKM said...

Mm, it's particularly easy to think "This is so good, nothing can top this!". I've found over the years that things I hold in high regard often can't be compared, which is why I am hard pressed to name a favourite book/movie/album, and especially song. I don't think it's necessarily that the truly great things (for me) are unique in some way, but rather the way they affect me is unique.

"I used to be terrible at dancing, unfortunatly I've gotten worse!"

Actually, your display of groovin' to the beat during lunch was quite impressive! I assure you, if I had started to show the world my moves, there would have been mass evacuations from the building..

Jenny said...

Actually, your display of groovin' to the beat during lunch was quite impressive! I assure you, if I had started to show the world my moves, there would have been mass evacuations from the building..

from the building next to the one you were in, so people could come see you dance eh? what does grooving to the beat mean? o.o what lunch was this?!