Saturday, October 08, 2005

Yes, code is art

Taking the Cavemeister's argument of rock being something of worth if only for the reason that it can make him angry (which I mentioned a long while ago), I think one can very easily see that code is of high artistic merit, because simply reading bad (inelegant) code can really make one's blood boil. Oh my God, it is frustrating to the point of parody; really, the only way to deal with it is to close one's eyes and then delete it all, and start over from scratch. Unfortunately, with deadlines breathing down my neck, that doesn't seem to be an option at the moment; woe is me!

I'm exaggerating, of course, but it is true that the frustration that comes with managing/maintaining a piece of bad/inelegant code can quite easily give way to full blown rage. Oh, that I could have recorded the moment a few seconds ago when the straw broke the camel's back, and I actually took to getting up and screaming (very softly, mind you).

Make no mistake, it may be just a pattern of bits, but it is pure evil.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

o.o ..was this code you wrote yourself?

how have you been aditya? have the exams eaten you yet? :D?

AKM said...

No, for once I was not the author of this code! And yes, exams have eaten me up, I'm writing from their stomach as we speak.