Friday, March 05, 2004

It's somewhat sad to think that in a couple of days, when uni starts again, I have to get back to the routine of early morning starts (relatively, of course - nowadays I'm used to waking up at pretty much any time I want) and actually doing something constructive during the day (of course, that is debatable, what with the multitude of pointless lectures and boring tutorials I had last year). There is a slight element of excitement which I always feel when I start something afresh. You might say that I look forward to even the most painful thing after taking a break from it, even if it this looking forward is overshadowed by a feeling of ominous doom. I guess the fact that my timetable is decent is a small victory, at the very least meaning that I have no more 12 hour at-uni days which were followed by wake-up-at-6 days.

As always, it's nice to reflect on how it feels like only yesterday that it was the start of the new year, and so on. Unfortunately, that is a lie, because it doesn't feel like yesterday, it feels more like a couple of months ago, which just so happens to be perfectly accurate. It is strange however that my birthday was at the start of the holidays, because I can't remember a darn thing about it now. I only have the vaguest of memories of playing Baldur's Gate for most of the day at the start of the holidays, which was of course a nice way to waste time, not to mention a sure-fire way to sound cool in everyday conversations ("Yeah, I had a pretty rough night, you know, what with the dragons killing my level 19 paladin. Luckily for me I had a priest who cast Quivering Palm with +2 roll"). I don't think I'm quite that nerdy, but I may well be soon enough.

A constant feature of any holiday seems to be a never-ending sense of regret and a distinct feeling of non-accomplishment and failure. For instance, I never did get around to finishing my webpage, which was something I was saving for the 3 months of freedom. Not to mention that I didn't learn Python, again something I had intendend on doing a whole year ago. Let's not even talk about finishing reading Code Complete, The C++ programming language, ... Speaking of reading, I read virtually nothing these holidays, save I think The Great Gatsby, and maybe Coming Up For Air. Sigh, a truly wasted time it was. I seem to save things for the long holidays, but when they come, I truly squander the opportunity. Even though I'm aware of that, I never seem to be able to avoid the trap the next time around. At least now I have this blog to highlight all my failures, right? Perhaps that will be some small incentive.

No comments: