Friday, September 04, 2009

The diligent reader might cite the following as being radically delayed responses on my part, but while I probably could've written about these songs much earlier, I needed time to be sure. Except the last one, which I added just now, and have heard probably three times. Can you spot the theme?

1) Gram Parsons, "Return of the Grievous Angel". It's surprising the lyrics are borrowed, because thematically they seem to be prime Parsons territory: like the album cover, bright blue optimism and hope. As his album openers go, I might like it more than "Christine's Tune"- and that's saying something.

2) Captain Beefheart, "Bat Chain Puller". God the Cap'n is one cool guy. Though I don't have a literal understanding of what he's singing about, I'm pretty sure he takes his writing seriously - he once criticized Dylan for a clumsy line, which implies he must put some thought into his own lyrics - and at the very least the words are atmospheric. Regardless, I'm positive he takes his music seriously. Being a neophyte both with his catalogue and the general progression of the blues through rock music, my sentiments might not carry much weight, but - the last time I felt this sort of visceral thrill from the blues was probably LA Woman. (Ditto the last remark of (1)!)

3) Morrissey, "That's How People Grow Up". I wonder if Morrissey represents the last truly iconic popstar that manages to capture my imagination (and how). While a lot of modern music strikes me as being good, it will be a while before I encounter someone whose every word seems infused with personal meaning. This one claims to understand that life doesn't begin and end with you, and uses that to address his ancient lament about being unloved. It should come as no surprise that I happen to share a lot with the image that Moz projects; so, a life-lesson for him is one I can always use for myself. (c.f. "Break Up The Family" and "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" for past examples in this vein.) If nothing else, it's sometimes good to know that one's feelings are not unique.

No comments: