Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An amusing game you might like to try out - try to find all Beatles songs that begin with their chorus (preferably without listening to all their albums again, lest you have a whole day to spare). I haven't tried this on many other artists, as the Beatles belong to a very select group of bands whose entire catalogue I can nearly recall at will; consequently, its novelty may be severely lacking. But the genesis of this game was an analysis of...well, I can't give the name of the song, for that would spoil the game ;) Let's say an analysis of "an early song" of theirs, which thought that beginning with the chorus was pretty bold for its time.

2 comments:

night and starlight said...

Ok this is a really good game..It's distracted me all day cos I'm still trying to guess which song you're talking about. Unlike you, I don't have the Beatles' catalogue ingrained in my brain, so this has been very entertaining. Hmmm..I'm thinking of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves Me"...

Oh also, you should check out August's Mojo magazine as the free CD is the Beatles' White Album songs re-recorded by various artists. It's an interesting recording!

AKM said...

You did well - "She Loves You" was the genesis of this game, and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is another early song using this "trick". There are quite a few more to be found, though; at least two more Lennon songs in pre-Help! albums...

A good followup game that's much more time-consuming is to get that catalogue ingrained once and for all :)

I'll check out the Mojo issue, thanks! 40th anniversary of the White Album, it's hard to believe...