Monday, July 23, 2007

Many moons ago, I used what I thought was foresight and some connection to that realm of the beyond to proudly claim just what it was I was in this life for. Naturally, I said, it is to understand! Implictly, I suppose, I meant that I wanted to understand the grander fabric of it all. There was no scope for nihilism at that age, and so meaning was taken as an assumption (nowadays, I feel it need not be an assumption, but anyhow). I thought of that incident today and wondered whether I have done that version of me justice. I feel there have been gracious moments that have gone towards such a goal, but much remains unexplored and hanging, waiting for contemplation and comprehension. The naivete of those days I have lost a little, but I still hope the sentiment holds strong in the years to come.

2 comments:

airy voices said...

I love how you say "Naturally, I said, it is to understand", like it is the most matter-of-fact , ubiquitous sort of goal. (unless of course the naturally was a sorta dig at yourself.. but hey I'm working through the maze and you don't really help with all the mirrors)

Anyhoo, my point was that despite the fact that nihilism might exist in your conscious vocabulary today, and a lot of time might not be spent actively contemplating, the fact that you know that at some point you should contemplate is probably a lot more important.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.

AKM said...

Heh keep at it, you'll get through the maze soon enough ;) It is so convoluted that even I don't know the intent behind some of the things here, but decide to preserve them for posterity anyway.

I think (hope!) you're right about knowing one should think about things being a positive, even if said thinking hasn't really been done yet. As a goal for one's life, I guess one could do worse (Could one do better? No way ;)); but even though it is expressed in a single sentence, I'll be darned if there isn't a whole lot of growth that needs to go into making it a reality!