Saturday, September 23, 2006

Another unfinished one. It's been too long since I worked on it, so I don't think I can finish it satisfactorily. You can tell that I end up writing sentences that don't lead anywere! I guess I wanted to capture the whimsy of the first line, but it hasn't really come off.


Hello! It's me!
I'm probably who you think!

I must apologize for the fright
I agree, a stranger calling out
Your secret name
Somewhere from the recess of the night
Perfectly pronounced, and with such assurance
Usually augurs no good!

But, in my defense,
Your brother has on his slippers
Grounding him where he stands
And so, this was how we had to meet,
Conveniently cutting away
Those early morning jitters
Wondering how best to impress
What words will serve best.

So let us thank those slippers -
Thank that they are in no shape for this world
Or the games we play.

No comments: